Just like buying a new product or visiting a new store, the process can be nerve-racking because you are not sure about the quality of the services offered. You might check reviews and complaints about the products and services provided by a store and company to get more certainty. If you can do this for things you buy, why not do this for the doctor you hire? You can find out all the reviews, certifications, and complaints against a doctor by using different trusted websites such as The Federation of State Medical Boards, which has compiled a database called DocInfo. Get more information on how to find a complaint against a Doctor of the hospital here.
DocInfo helps ensure that you have adequate information about the physician and hospital treating you. It helps you to make an accurately informed decision beneficial to your health. You will be able to carefully select a medical doctor with the proper credentials and ability to meet your health needs. It could be easier to find complaints against a doctor by checking state by state using Doc Finder approved by the American Medical Association.
Step by Step Ways to Check out a Doctor For Malpractice
Finding information about a complaint against a doctor could be very cumbersome and stressful. This information is not willingly given by the healthcare provider and is sometimes not updated. The best way is to consult the help of a licensed attorney at Justpoint. Below are a few tips to make your search faster. The tips include:
- Visit the Federation of State Medical Boards and check out basic information about your doctor such as previous complaints against your doctor, certifications and license, previous working experience in different states, e.t c.
- Use the AMA Doc Finder to narrow your search to within your state and surrounding areas. This can show if the physician was previously or is currently suspended for a medical offense.
- Do a google search with the Doctors name and add unique keywords such as complaints, mistakes, malpractice, etc. c. It is advisable to put the name in quotation marks because many medical doctors have the same name.
How to Select A Good Doctor For My Case
Despite the large volume of information online, you can find complaints against doctors if you know where to look. It would help if you had the expertise of a licensed attorney to interpret the terminologies and search results you see online.
For example, how do you interpret a successful case or doctor? Is the doctor with a high success rate due to good medical skills or avoiding high-risk or complex medical cases?
It is also difficult to analyze what a reasonable medical lawsuit is without the help of an attorney. Some medical cases could be beyond the physician’s control. The attorney can show you what is due to negligence or uncontrollable events. After all, your goal is not to find malpractice, but to find the best physician for your medical needs. Feel free to call your doctor for any direct questions or doubts you may have.
How To Check If Your Doctor’s license is Active
It is vital to know if your doctor’s license is active or suspended. You can also find out about his previous and current disciplinary records. You would need to go to the medical body for your state, but the steps are the same for all states, just different names for the state’s medical body. For example, in Ohio, the steps to do find a doctor’s license include:
- Go to Ohio E-License Lookup
- Select the “Medical Board” section and search for your doctor. You would see your doctor’s licensing status.
- Once you’ve found your doctor, check if any discipline is listed under their profile’s “board action” section. If so, go to the Ohio Medical Board or your attorney to know the full details.
Criteria For Selecting A Good Doctor For Your Case
There are different criteria to consider before choosing the specific doctor for your medical condition. The primary criteria include:
- Malpractice Records: It is essential to check the previous malpractice or complaints against a doctor treating you, especially those related to your current medical condition.
- Research Records: Participation in various research processes improves the knowledge and expertise of a medical practitioner. They might know new ways and methods to treat your medical condition. Although pharmaceutical companies could pay a doctor to advertise a drug, ensure that your doctor recommends a prescription based on research and not an advertisement.
- Age: A doctor’s age can influence the type of service you receive, especially if you have a chronic condition. Chronic conditions require long-term monitoring and communication with your doctor. Young doctors could be well versed in modern technology and around for the duration of your treatment. Older practitioners are more experienced but might have retired during your treatment.
- Personality Type: A good doctor does not necessarily have to be friendly, and a nice doctor doesn’t mean a competent doctor. There are no fast rules in deciding a good personality, although patients should be treated nicely and given the best care. You can know about the character of a doctor through referrals, social media, word of mouth, e.t.c
Doing your research or finding previous complaints against a doctor is essential and can be more effective if you work with your attorney.If you believe you may be the victim of medical malpractice, go to our website at www.justpoint.com to submit your case information, and one of our case managers will reach out to you to discuss the case in more detail and determine how best to move forward.